First impressions are the impressions that we form of others when we encounter them for the first time, and before we get to know them better. First impressions lay the foundation of future interactions, which makes the study and practise of the biases that impact first impressions a vital tool in interpersonal relations.
Research has shown that we form a first impressions about a person within the first 7 seconds of meeting them. This first impression often lays the foundation for all future interactions, which is why making a good first impression is so important.
Advice from Masters – Quotes & Tips on First Impressions
My belief is you have one chance to make a first impressionKevin McCarthy
You never get a second chance to make a first impression.Andrew Grant
Feeling important: Dress right; it always pays. Remember: look important because it helps you to think important.
Public perception: The point is: the better you are packaged, the more public acceptance you will receive. People look at another person, make a quick and often subconscious appraisal, and then treat them accordingly.David J Schwartz – The Magic of Thinking Big
10 Ways To Appear Confident (When You’re Really Not)
Here are 10 ways you can modify your body language to project a more confident image so that you always appear self-assured, relaxed and in control.
- Stand Up Straight: Keeping your back straight, your shoulders back and your head held high displays status, power and that you are in control of your life.
- Keep Your Chin And Head Up: Whether you are standing in a crowd or walking down a street, always keep your head up and your eyes looking straight ahead.
- Keep Hands Out Of Pockets: Keeping your hands visible indicates you feel confident in yourself, your current situation and ready to handle anything.
- Gesture With Palms Upwards: Gesturing with your palms facing up will make you appear more confident as it gives the impression of honesty and trustworthiness.
- Don’t Fidget: Fidgeting is a clear sign of nervousness, worry or anxiety and most of us fidget without even realizing it.
- Maintain Eye Contact: Good eye contact is probably the most important technique to practice it you wish to appear calm, honest, friendly and confident.
- Stand In An Open Stance: Standing with your feet too close together can give the impression that you are timid. Aim to have your feet in line with your shoulders.
- Smile: Smiling has a powerful effect, a genuine smile communication that you are friendly, honest and trustworthy and makes you more attractive.
- Develop A Firm Handshake: A firm, solid handshake can give you an immediate impression of confidence while a limp handshake can communicate weakness.
- Take Big Steps: Take long purposeful steps, rather than short, quick or hurried steps. A slower, deliberate walk will make you appear confident and in control of your life.
Recommended Books – First Impressions
Other concepts on Personality
There are certain traits that help radiate a strong and positive personality. These traits can be studied, learnt, practised and perfected. From your self-image, the confidence that you radiate, your likeability and more, understand how you can hone your personality to become more attractive, confident and successful.
We prefer to spend time and do business with people that we trust, and avoid any interactions with those that we have lost our trust in. Trust can take years to develop, yet be lost within a matter of minutes. Understand the key elements that lead to trust developing, and how to ensure that you don’t do things that break it.
The very foundation of all successful interpersonal relations, is developing a genuine interest in the other person. This involves the ability to truly listen, caring for the other persons interests & opinions, taking the effort to remember their names and other important details and willing to overlook minor imperfections.